A change will do you good

It's funny how turning a certain age makes you think about things.

The Hubs and I have big birthdays this year. Mine's next month. And after years of trying to figure out what we were going to do when we retire, it all came to full focus for us last month.

My retirement dream had always been to quilt all day. Doesn't that sound like heaven? But a few months ago, the Hubs and I discussed retirement and the fact that he doesn't have any type of hobby that fulfills him, and he did not want to spend his days watching TV while I was sewing downstairs in my studio. I mentioned the idea of traveling; he hasn't been many places, and I have. It's something I've taken for granted for many years. His eyes lit up when I mentioned it and then the ideas started flying as to how we were going to do it. For a while we talked about the RV lifestyle, even going to the point of selling everything and living full time in one. I had warmed up to the idea until the Hubs finally said he didn't think it was the right fit for us. He always comes back to this: What will you do with all of your sewing stuff? And the biggie: What about your longarm?

I've had some time to think about it, and then a trip to Florida last month brought it all home for both of us.

I had to work with a team in Florida in late January. When I called the hotel to confirm my reservation, I was asked if I would stay on the line and complete a quick survey. Sure; why not? Turned out it was a promotion for a vacation club (i.e., timeshare), and the lovely representative said that I and my significant other could spend a weekend at a resort in one of 3 locales for $99; all we would have to do is sit through a 2-hour max sales pitch. I asked if they had any locations in Orlando; turns out they have several there. Were there any openings for the particular weekend following my work week there? As a matter of fact, there were. Without even consulting the Hubs, I booked the weekend, and booked him a cheap flight on Allegiant Air.

I've sat through many of these sales pitches and have no problem with saying an emphatic "No, thank you." But I have to tell you, this time around--the Hubs and I drank the Kool-Aid. The Hubs and I discussed it and determined that this would be a great way to spend our retirement because we're not tied in to one location or one week. We can go anywhere we want where they have a resort and any time we'd like.

Since that weekend, we have determined that we will downsize by selling our home of 20+ years and move into an apartment or condo. It will take awhile for some fixing up of the house, but we're excited about the change.

I also have to figure out how much of my stash can be sewn up between now and the day we move. Hubs wants to find a place with 2 bedrooms and designate the second bedroom as my studio. I'm good with it. It won't be nearly as large a space as I have now (almost 1,000 square feet)...in fact, it's possible our next home will be less than 1,000 square feet.

I was talking with our oldest about the possibilities, mostly to see if he was interested in taking over the longarm. I could sell the fabric or I can make it up into items and sell those. Time is the big factor in that last option. Work being what it is now, I have little to no energy left at the end of the day. I would like to change it so that I do have some time for me at the end of a 10-hour workday.

I got to spend the afternoon sewing yesterday. The Beast spent last week getting her first spa treatment, and she's purring nicely. This is what's on my design wall:
Shimmering Triangles in batiks
I still plan to show to you the things I made last year.

The other thing that has me thinking is how I want to create. I look at that huge stash I have and feel, sometimes, as if I've outgrown it. In order to get to the place where I can sew in a much smaller space, I need to adopt the habit of working on one or two projects at a time (two because I always like to have a handwork project that's portable). That has never been my style. But the thing you see on the design wall is the project that is my acid test for the change in my ways. It's the only thing I've worked on since the beginning of the year. We'll see how that pans out.

And I'm still trying to determine when I will actually retire. I have some options, and I'm working on finding the right balance. Hubs wants me to retire before he does, but I'm thinking about 5 years from now, which is when he'll probably retire. We'll see. I have to make my decision at least 1 year prior to the actual retirement date.

So, you'll hopefully see some of the changes I'll be processing through this year. It's going to be a lot of baby steps. This week we'll be spending some time completing a project that has been over 2 years in the making. I hope we can make it all happen this week. You'll know if we do!

Welcome, Spring! Now, go quilt!



Comments

Popular Posts