Progress and an Occasional Tuesday Tool Tip

I was working on the 96th block of Trick or Treat on Sunday when I hit basket overload. The pattern in Blackbird Designs' "When the Cold Wind Blows" calls for 291 basket blocks.

Photo from Pinterest

It's a stunner. But I was enlarging the block from 5" to 6", and knew I didn't need 291 of them; I estimated I needed 200 for a queen-sized quilt (I didn't even bother to do the math on this one).

I just started making blocks. I lost count along the way, and Sunday is when I added them up. I slapped the 95 finished blocks on the design wall and decided, that's it!
The pattern also calls for 13 uneven 9 patch blocks, and 9 blank blocks. I'll adjust the numbers of each of those for proportion purposes, and you'll see those in the near future.

I also have to add the setting triangles. You will notice in the top photo that they are all appliqued. NO. I'm not doing it. I don't know yet what I'm doing, but it won't be more applique for this quilt.

I've been working on this quilt for three years now--these were the first set of blocks I completed and uploaded to my blog in its infancy:

I'm ready for this quilt to be done.

And now for an occasional Tuesday Tool Time Tip, here's my way to enlarge or reduce an applique pattern,and I have examples of each below:

To enlarge a block from 5" to 6", divide 6 by 5:
6 / 5 = 1.2 = 120%
Enlarge the pattern by 120%

To reduce a block from 10" to 8", divide 8 by 10:
8 / 10 = 0.8 - 1 = 0.2 (20%)
Reduce the pattern by 20%, or print at 80% of the original size

But how are you going to reduce or enlarge those patterns? You're going to use a scanner or photocopier. Scanner software has the capability to reduce or enlarge, and a photocopier has controls that allow you to reduce or enlarge an image. I know a lot of you already know this, but I'm putting it out there.

See? Easy peasy.

I'm linking up to Tips and Tutorials Tuesday with Late Night Quilter. Go check her out!

I'm now off to the next project, and I'll talk about it in the next post. In the meantime,

Go quilt!


Comments

Popular Posts