Saturday, September 10, 2016

Finally Finished - French Rose!

WOW! Two finishes in less than a week? I know, I know--I can hardly believe it myself.
I finished Betty's retirement quilt on one day and this quilt the next. I've said before that I've been working away on several projects, and sometimes they manage to get completed!

This little quilt is one from The Bins, circa 2004-2005. It's from the International Mystery Tour from the shop and this was the colorway I chose.

The original plan was to complete this with borders for one of the grandnieces, but I needed a quick baby quilt and remembered this project. I play Pokeno with a bunch of girls and one of them is having a little girl in November. While I like big baby quilts and had purchased some fabrics a couple of years ago to add borders to it, I decided I liked it the way it is and had a coordinating fabric the perfect size for the backing.

When I pulled this project out of The Bins, it was a HOT MESS. The rows were already pieced, but talk about the wonk! In the last 12 years my piecing has greatly improved, and I'm not in such a hurry. When we had the shop I was always under the gun on making a sample (that somehow never got completed) and it shows in my piecing. I had to take apart some of the rows and re-sew them back together. It's still a little wonky in places, but I decided it would quilt out.

I quilted loose and easy wavy lines in the black and white print and a flower in each of the blocks. I had it done in no time, but when I took it off the frame and placed it on the cutting table for squaring up, I couldn't believe that I missed one entire row...back on the frame for a quick finish.

The label--I normally print them myself or use Spoonflower, but I needed to have this done by Pokeno night. My printer is malfunctioning right now and so I actually wrote a label.

For baby quilts that I hope will be used and loved, I like to machine stitch down the binding. I attached the binding to the front like one normally does when you're hand stitching it from the back, but I glued it down and machine stitched it from the front. Worked beautifully. If you'd like to see a tute on how it's done, check out Julie Cefalu's video.

So...again...I did not get a photo of the baby mama with the quilt. But I will get a photo of the baby on it when she arrives!

Quilt stats:
Size - 36" x 51"
Batting - Warm and White
Threads - Top - So Fine! 401; Bobbin - Magna Glide Delights Bright Blue

Go quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment