The things we remember

Karen is one of my besties from way back when...


We met in 1972 as new students at Sylvan Hills Junior High School. Both of us military brats, and while both of us were used to the constant relocating and meeting new people, we craved being in one space for more than a year. We were lucky to get that when we met--both of us stayed here for the next 6-7 years.

Karen was smart, fun and beautiful. Most of all, she was so much fun to be around. Dry sense of humor and brutal honesty; no wonder I loved her so much! I remember so many nights riding around in her 1975 Chevy Monte Carlo (what a car!) with the radio blasting, especially in the summertime.

One of the funny memories: Karen was the one who talked me into seeing Star Wars when it was released 40 years ago. I thought it was just a sci-fi movie and wasn't interested. She said let's go! We did, and WOW...and then we saw it again!

She was one of the most beautiful bridesmaids in the world at my wedding to the Hubster (the first time).

And a few months later, she was Steve's blushing bride (no photos; they eloped!). They have a beautiful daughter.

After we started our lives as new wives, we moved away from home and tried our best to keep up with each other through letters. We lost touch for a while and reconnected again after a class reunion. We would call each other every now and then, and finally both of us got on Facebook and sent emails back and forth.

Last week I realized I hadn't heard from her in a while and made a mental note to check in with her. Two days later, Melissa told me she passed away on Thursday.

I'm brokenhearted. Another bestie gone to soon. The last time we talked, I suggested we drive and meet halfway--which would have been to my sister's home--so we could have a good long weekend gabfest. It never happened. I have so many wonderful memories, for which I am grateful.

I need to make her daughter a quilt. I'll have to think on it a while, but I have an idea.

On this Memorial Day, while we remember loved ones and those that gave their lives for us, I will be remembering Karen. Go hug your loved ones and spend time with your peeps! Forget cleaning the house. It will still be there. Your friends might not.

Love,


Comments

Popular Posts