Saturday, February 21, 2015

Louisa's Little Lone Star - Finally Finished!

My girlfriend Jean is a new grandmother. I've known James, her son, since he was 5 years old. When she told me that James and his wife were expecting, I knew I had to make a quilt.

The quilt is a Lone Star pattern from Quiltsmart.

What started out as a shop sample never made it to the sewing machine until after the shop was closed; I had only managed to cut the rectangles needed for the fusible interfacing and we blew through the fabric so fast, there was no need to make the top. I had thought about using it as a sample for a class, but ... I didn't like the technique. I mean no disrespect to Quiltsmart because I believe their method is great for people who do not want to tackle traditional techniques for certain quilt patterns; i.e., double wedding ring, etc. I'll make a double wedding ring quilt when I purchase the dies for my Accuquilt Studio cutter. I've purchased a diamond die and will make another lone star quilt using it.

Fast forward about 3 years to July 2010 and I was attempting to finish up some UFOs. I spent a sewing day at LeiLani's and we both worked on our Lone Star tops. LeiLani's was beautiful in purples, red violets, blues and turquoise; she had the large one:
And this was mine:
Crummy photo, don't know what happened here!
And mine stayed that way until last month.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to finish the top with or without borders. All of the fabrics were from the Poetry Collection designed by April Cornell for Moda, and I had very little left. Imagine my surprise when during the Wichita quilt shop hop back in October I saw not one, but two bolts from the line (one was on sale!) and I snatched up both and purchased two yards of one and a yard of the other.

On New Year's Day I took the quilt out of its bin, looked at the leftover scraps and the purchased fabric, and decided to take the scraps to make a scrappy border and used the purchased fabrics for backing and binding.
Side borders attached
And then it sat. And sat. And I couldn't get motivated to load the quilt onto the frame. I didn't like it! But I was committed to getting it done and as luck would have it, our President's Day holiday turned out to be an ice day and I couldn't go out with Cindy as we had planned, and the day after was a bonus ice day. I loaded that baby on Monday and knocked it out in a couple of hours. The next day I attached the binding. Some close-ups of the quilting:

Quilt back

(Bad, bad lighting)

My favorite part--sewing down the binding!

Now, I love it!
Another example of how quilting makes the quilt--I love it now.

The quilt will be shipped off to little Louisa on Monday, and I hope she uses it for a long time. If her parents will allow it, I'll post a photo of Louisa on the quilt.

Batting - Pellon Nature's Touch
Threads - Top: Superior Threads King Tut Sunstone
Bobbin: Fil-Tec's Magna Glide Delight Lemon Ice

This is my first finish for 2015--I've been tracking my completion dates for quilts and this is the first quilt I've finished since August--six months! Too long...

Now, off to the next one...

Go quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment