Finally Finished! - Peace on Earth

And after languishing for 7 years in the UFO heap, I present to you Peace on Earth:

I'm calling it the first in a series--it was the first quilt we pieced in the Christmas Club at the quilt shop I used to co-own and it may be the only one I complete from that grouping, but just saying "First in a series" gives me some hope! All of the quilts from the Christmas Club were from the now out-of-print book, "A Few of my Favorite Christmas Quilts" by Christine Meunier. No, I didn't make them all, but I have a good start on a lot of them. ;-)

This is the quilt where I conquered my fear of mitered borders. The border was a beautiful striped fabric from Benartex's first line with Marianne Elizabeth and I think it's perfect. The initial plan was to have two borders:

But after auditioning both on the design wall, I decided that plaid wasn't going to work and the striped fabric would go solo. I'm very pleased with the result.

I quilted it with feathers in the "light" logs and swirls and berries in the dark logs:

I didn't have a plan for how to quilt the border. I left the quilt on the frame for a few days while I thought about it, and finally decided on a feather in the red portion of the stripe and swirls in the golden tan portion.

While I was fussy cutting the border pieces, I realized I didn't have anything for the binding. The backing for this quilt was dull by comparison and would detract from the quilt. It finally dawned on me that I could take the remnants of the striped fabric and turn it into a fussy cut binding. A lot of fussiness and measuring:



And here's how it looked after it was cut, joined and pressed:
Two-sided binding (backing in the upper left corner)
And here it is on the quilt:
Binding on front of quilt

Binding on the back
...and a view of the quilting from the back:

The quilt finishes at 45-1/2" x 57-1/2"--a small one for me. I'll probably hang it on the wall in our front bedroom right after Thanksgiving. I don't believe I will get enough quilts done to hang one in every bedroom or put one on every bed--there are still too many animals in this house. Maybe next year!

This was the third quilt I completed in August and makes the fifth quilt I have finished this year, which means one more to meet my goal for the year--woohoo! I don't know how many more I'll complete this year--we'll see!

Christmas is coming--go quilt!

Comments

Popular Posts