2015 Year End Wrap Up, and Learning to Let Go

I learned a lot of lessons this year. One lesson rears its head each year and repeatedly tells me that there is only so much I can do. This year, I fell short of my self-imposed goal to complete more quilts than I did last year, which was 5. I wanted to complete at least 6.

I only completed 5 quilts. Life intervened, and that is the biggest and most important lesson I learned this year. This year's focus has been more on my family (by blood and by choice). While I wished for more time in the studio, some of the time I didn't spend there was by my choice (I hope that makes sense).

Here's what I wanted to complete: 2015's Game Plan

...and this is what happened:






Flannel pajama bottoms for Emma

Five quilts. Three pillows. One pair of pajama bottoms. I did make an apron, but it's nothing to go on about. Not too shabby, but I so want to make more!

So about that learning to let go...I'm going to relax and not worry about hurrying up and getting quilts done. I do need to make goals just to somewhat keep me on track and I still have a long list of peeps for whom I want to make quilts, but the world won't come to an end if I don't complete those goals within a defined time limit. Hindsight is 20/20, and I now know that the reason for my productivity for a certain 20-month period during the last 2 years was due to the need to maintain my sanity while we were fostering a teenager. I went to my studio to escape.

And another thing--in 2016 I will not be posting numbers about my stash accumulation and attempts to whittle it down. That was too much of a buzz kill. I purchased a lot of fabric this year, but all of it was for specific projects and went back out or will be out soon. And I'm not joining any more goal-setting blog-alongs. They are completely worthy and help a lot of people, but when I returned from my break I didn't go back to them. I'm just going to sew and quilt. And blog.

Before my sister left on Saturday, we talked about Christmas for next year (we are always talking about Christmas). We made the decision that all gifts for Christmas 2016 will be handmade/homemade. You know I'll want to make quilts for everyone.

So, Dear Readers, as I sit in my recliner wearing my New Year's Eve uniform of sweat pants and t-shirt, I hope you have a very Happy New Year, and can do whatever you want! Now, go quilt!




Comments

Popular Posts