January 2014 Progress Report

Not a lot to tell, but I'm happy I was able to quilt at least a bit! 

Trick or Treat - Finally revisited this project when I needed something in my hands, and I was able to stitch 9 blocks, bringing my grand total to 20 (I need 225). Time to prep some more blocks:


The newest project started this month was the previously mentioned retirement quilt for my co-worker. I got all of the pieces cut a couple of weeks ago. I like to make one of each block for a new project, then piece together the rest of the blocks in assembly-line fashion. I don't know if it's any faster than piecing one entire block at a time, but it seems faster to me, and that's how I roll. Eight blocks down out of 22, and everything is cut for the quilt except for the borders:
4-Patch Star and Rising Star blocks
I have completed all of the 4-patch star blocks and have moved on to the Rising Star blocks. And it's a good thing I decided to get started on it and be ready when my co-worker got around to retiring--he made his announcement this week. He's retiring on March 31 so I am on it. I had plans to go to my sister's in Memphis next weekend to go to a sale at a quilt shop, but I'm skipping it to get this quilt completed.

Organization - NOTHING. My plans to organize were thwarted by my bigger need to sew. And because I've had company every weekend since Thanksgiving. I can't organize when other people are here; it throws off my game.


In case you haven't guessed, I'm not too concerned about goals right now. I'm swimming in the process and loving it.


The winter doldrums hit hard this week and getting myself back into the studio in the mornings before work was just the shot in the arm I needed.

I came to the realization this week that I focused so much last year on completing UFO quilts that I didn't actually have any real fun with it - !!! Yes, the reward was having 8 projects completed, and that is good. This week I decided it will be all about the fun of quilting. I still plan to complete projects, but I won't be as focused on it as I was last year. The retirement quilt is a good start, but I have ideas bouncing around in my head that I hope to start soon, and that's why I love the idea of NewFOs and I'm linking up with Barbara at Cat Patches to join in on the fun!


So, that's it! I hope your January was full of good things.


Happy quilting,


Comments

Popular Posts