Mid-May musings

So, things are different here at the Sherman-Lloyd Home...

We returned Will to his mother this morning. We wish both of them well. While we thought he wasn't going to graduate, miracles happen--his guidance counselor contacted me before we left the house this morning and said he could take an online test to complete the American History credit he needed. His counselor just emailed me a few minutes ago to let me know that he completed the test and he'll graduate. Hallelujah! It's been a journey.

And we are now empty nesters again. We have shuttered the Halfway House for Wayward Souls for a well-deserved break. We have lots to do around our house. I have just under 9 years before my retirement date target and I want everything repaired, renovated, remodeled, etc. before that day arrives, so I can plant my happy butt in the Bottoms Up! Studio with no worries.

And because of all the hubbub around here with moving someone out, I've spent some time in the studio but have little to show for it. I've cut and appliqued the snowflakes on Pinetree Village...


I cut...
cut...

cut, and cut some more for the queen-sized low-volume Christmas Burgoyne Surrounded quilt...

and have pieced...TWO BLOCKS! 
First block has lots of wonk because of the way I pieced it
Block 2: Much better...
I'm having to think about my process for this project; i.e., how to cut, how to sub-cut, then piece in as efficient manner as I can muster. But today as I pieced most of another block I realized that cutting everything one block at a time is appealing to me. It will take me longer, but so long as I have it done by November...

And I still haven't started the secret project. That's another process piece and while I think I have it figured out, I have to order the fusible web, try to remove the sizing from the scraps without actually washing them (hah!) and keep them from bleeding onto the background.

Instead of working more on the above two projects, I've had my eyes on Instagram; this past weekend was quilt market and my feed exploded over all the new stuff coming our way. Great diversion, but I need to get back to what I want and need to create! I pieced the backing for Pinetree Village this afternoon, and hope to get it loaded on Tonka Toy tomorrow.

Go quilt!

Comments

Popular Posts