Baby quilt 1 is officially a flimsy!

That didn't take long! And another reason why I call it a palate cleanser.


I promise I'm working on the lighting...it's much brighter than what you see here.

Monday was my day off from work and I had a lot of to-do things, but I managed to get the other two borders on the baby quilt. I'm looking through my stash for appropriate backing, but I'm going to wait a couple of days; we're hoping to know the baby's gender by Wednesday.

While it was on the design wall, I got an idea to do something to it and just said, "Shari, STOP. You're overthinking it." Indeed, I was. It's just a baby quilt. While it's for our great-grandbaby, this one is not what I would even begin to refer to as an heirloom. I call it a barf quilt, and will tell my granddaughter that I expect the baby to do just that all over it. Let's face it; aren't all baby quilts barf quilts?

So, while I like to add the label to the backing before I quilt the quilt, I may just go ahead and quilt it, bind it, and attach a label later...I don't know. Maybe I'll have a better idea by this weekend, because I want to know the baby's name, too, for label purposes. I could also embroider the label onto the backing and then quilt it...ack, rabbit hole. 

One of the other to-do things on Monday was taking all of the birds to the vet for their first well check. A couple of weeks ago I observed MokoTu not being his typical goofball, friendly self. In fact, he was sulking and distancing himself from the other birds, and us. This is the bird that when you open the door to the living room, he usually comes running up to you and wants to hop onto your shoe, and walk up your leg and onto your index finger. None of that was happening 2 weeks ago. Today was the first date available to take them and Hubs and I waited in the car for the updates. Dr. Hawley called and told us that Meli B, Malaki and Mahalo were all fine, but MokoTu has a respiratory infection. She prescribed some antibiotics he will take for a week (well, we will attempt to cram it down his throat for a week) and we will keep a close eye on him. And Mahalo's tail will grow back.

They were not happy with me when I loaded them into the car:

Little shaky on the focus, but my hands were full;
left to right: Mahalo, Meli B, MokoTu and Malaki

And they weren't very talkative afterward until we were within a few blocks from home. Then they started yelling when I removed them from the car and took them into the apartment, and within a few minutes they all seemed to be settled in.

Bless MokoTu--we remembered just as we were heading to bed that we needed to give him his first dose of medicine. I held him while Hubs administered the dose. Let's just say that it was a large amount for a tiny bird, even if he is the biggest parakeet I've ever seen. I felt awful for him--as soon as he had the dose, I popped him back into the cage where everyone else was settled in for the night, and his eyes were WIDE OPEN. Bless his heart. I sang a couple of extra songs for him. 

Oh, and Dr. Hawley said Meli B could be a girl. We'll know in a couple of months.

I hope you're having a good and productive week. Go make!




Comments

Popular Posts