And now, something completely different

…and it’s not a quilt.


I love to quilt, almost to the exclusion of everything else, but not quite so. I have other interests that I enjoy. On Tuesday evening, it was a spelling bee.

I may not be a good quilter, but I am a good speller. My father taught me to read when I was 18 months old, and I read everything I could get my hands on. Reading consumed me in my earliest years until I learned how to craft. But reading is still a great love of mine and I believe all the reading I did helped me become a better speller. I participated in many spelling bees in school. I didn’t win them all, but won several. While working in private practice, I was the last proofreader before a brief was submitted to the Supreme Court. 

A couple of weeks ago while reviewing my Facebook feed, an event sponsored by our local library caught my eye—an adult spelling bee with a music theme at a local dive. I thought, “Why not?” I recognize the need to go out and interact with the world on occasion no matter how much I desire to stay home and quilt, so I signed up. 

I told my sister and asked her to come support me in my quest. She came down Sunday and started drilling me on Monday. We spent Tuesday going over more words and ready or not, she and the Hubs and I headed to the venue. I had no idea how many had signed up, but I was certain I would be the oldest contestant. My sister sent word to our kids and we had a table full of cheerleaders that filled my heart and steadied my nerves. 

Thanks, family!

So, the fact that this was in a bar made me think that the odds were in my favor. I rarely imbibe; the last alcoholic beverage I had was a glass of Chianti on our anniversary in December. The other 15 contestants were enjoying their libations while I sat by drinking my water. And just so you don’t think that I wasn’t supporting the watering hole, the Hubs drank two margaritas and we both had some appetizers. 

And I was definitely the oldest contestant. And some contestants were really struggling, whether it had to do with the liquor or not knowing the words, to spell anything. But in just four or five rounds, it was down to me and a young man who apparently did not hear the word “glissando” and spelled out “crescendo.” I spelled the word correctly and then correctly spelled “accordion” and the game was over in less than two hours. The only reason it took two hours was due to technical difficulties encountered by the library employee struggling to find the definitions of the words and attempting to state sentences using said words. He blamed it on the OED website. My sister sent me this:

When asked what is the object of any game, my sister and I always say, “To win.” It’s been 50 years since my last spelling bee, and I’m glad to know it’s still in my skill set. My daughter-in-law Emma and I are discussing hosting a family spelling bee now that the temps are nearing less than 90 degrees. I think that will be great fun. 

October is here!!!!! I'm back to work on the Mod Owls Revival quilt because the next class is next Thursday. All of the owls are pieced; now I'm working on the flying geese. Also, the first and second of eight rows of quilting is done on the secret project. Go make!



Comments