Updates
…and some perspective.
Being in the new sewing room is wonderful. Being in the fabric/cutting room is wonderful. I hope this is a long-lasting solution to the hiccups I’ve had in my quest to make more of anything.
Mod Owls Revival has been the top priority because the last class session is Thursday. I started on the flying geese last Friday. They were constructed in the four-at-a-time no-waste method. This is not my favorite way to construct flying geese, but I followed the cutting directions for creating them the way the pattern designer instructed, and decided I would do my best. I also purchased the Quilters Select flying geese ruler recommended by the class instructor and used it. I like it; but it's still not the method of my choice. And this brings me to something I would like to point out regarding accuracy.
I’ve been quilting for 33+ years. I’ve never claimed to be good at it; it’s more for my own enjoyment. I love fabric, and what better thing to do that allows you to bring together many fabrics? However, sometimes seams don’t align and points get lost, and that can happen when you’re lost in the reverie of being in your happy space and not paying attention to detail. Slips happen while cutting, and how many times have you noticed that the ends of your seams tended to veer off the mark?
Many years ago I met with two friends who were in charge of our group’s project of making quilts for the facility where we held our annual retreats. The pattern they had selected for two twin-sized quilts had hundreds of half-square triangles. The units finished at 2”, and we discussed the best way for the group to make all of the triangles. At that time I believe there were ten of us in the group. I think each of us had to make 40-50 of the HSTs, and the concern is that they all wouldn’t be the same size. This is no shade on anyone—we all have our own personal preferences for making our quilts and that’s part of the wonderful glory of quilt making. But imagine working with the output of ten quilters and you can understand how it can complicate a project.
My suggestion to the team leaders was that we make our units at 3”, and the two leaders cut all of the units down to 2-1/2”. Also, one team leader would work on the units for one quilt and the other team leader would work on the units for the second quilt. That would ensure the best possible outcome when we would get together to put the quilts together. They took my advice and the quilts turned out great, and I can’t find a photo to prove it. But trust me, they were wonderful, and it was one of my favorite projects we worked on for the lodge.
And all of this is to point out while I regularly complain about cutting, the Mod Owls Revival quilt has made me think about my cutting (and piecing) strategies. Everything in this pattern starts with larger pieces, trimming the units, then piecing the blocks. And when you piece these blocks, oh, how wonderfully they fit together. And thanks to retirement and a wonderfully understanding husband, I can slow down and choose to take better care in my quilt making process. And that's what I did this week with the Mod Owl blocks.
![]() |
| All blocks pieced but may be rearranged. |
So, updates:
Mod Owls Revival - All blocks are pieced. The setting and corner triangles are cut. I do not want to make another flying goose for a very long time.
Secret project - quilting has commenced. I need to make the binding and have this finished in two weeks.
Oh, and here's a photo from our local library showing the winners from last week's spelling bee:
![]() |
| The old lady on the right is me. |
After the Mod Owls class on Thursday, I’m putting the project aside to finish the secret project and start the baby quilt, and also start quilting the Pumpkin Pie quilt. I'll probably return to Mod Owls by mid-November, because this will be gifted in late December.
I am so grateful for the cooler temps and that always spurs me into more making; I hope you’re doing the same! Anyone looking at Christmas makes? I'm just now starting to think about it. Go make!





Comments
Post a Comment